Re: [VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Insights to Consider
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:58:02 -0400
Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

VHF contests were the first major radio contests to introduce something like the rover entry class. There is nothing even remotely like it in ARRL or CQ-sponsored HF contests.

These are the "tweaks" that I'm referring to. The underlying foundation is still that the rules for VHF contests were created using rules to HF contests as a foundation. Then the really cool question was asked...

I am simply suggesting that somebody (most probably those people who have already been charged by the MSC) would be best served to step back, take a breath and "re-tool" by not being afraid to untether from their HF roots when examining a 21st century VHF-centric world.

OK, what would you do differently?

As a start, I would ask "why?". I would go rule-by-rule and ask "why does this rule exist?" and "what is accomplished by this rule?"

Times have changed. Personnel at the ARRL has changed. The folks that are there have little "organizational memory" on some items...and because they don't operate VHF contests themselves, have little experience to rely upon when attempting to render judgement on (apparent) rules infractions.

This is only a first step of a multi-step process. I think that the "cheese" has moved, and "we" didn't realize it. It's time to go into the maze and find out where it is. ;)

Ev, W2EV