Re: [VHFcontesting] Calling some leadership

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Calling some leadership
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 06:27:20 -0700
Well, an 11 station rover pack would possibly not make it
out of one grid corner during the short contest periods we
currently enjoy, unless of course they only employed a
minimum number of bands.  Pack grid circle rover groups
score big as a result of time management and equipment
maintenance.  Unfortunately, not much more to it than that.

And, it finally got mentioned; the real threat to roving
activity:   FUEL PRICES!!!
Even in the small rover rig used up until recently, it was
not uncommon to spend nearly $300.00 (back when gas was
less than 2 bucks a gallon) during a typical contest
weekend, for fuel.
Some roves were well over 1000 miles... and the ol' VW bus
only got 12 - 15 MPG with that big antenna farm on the
roof.

The new rig is much more comfortable to operate, but, with
diesel running nearly 3 bucks a gallon, (here in the
Pacific Northwest) fill a 65 gallon tank 3 times during a
contest?  I could add a band, brick amp,  bigger brick amps
for the bands I already got, replace the battery bank, buy
a brand new Tailtwister, etc..........

  Seems like a