Re: [VHFcontesting] Poll Almost Closed...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Poll Almost Closed...
From: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:50:49 -0500
On 8/27/05, Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I may be speaking out of school here (I haven't
> participated in a Field Day for a very long time), so
> please accept my apologies up front if I misstate
> something...but as far as I can remember, an xA's
> score is calculated the same way as an xF's.  This is
> a different issue.

Mike wrote

You are correct and that's my point.  If you did away with all the xA
- xF categories you would have a 1D station in the same category as a
super club station running 15A.  Now I'm not contending that we have
10 rover categories (xR whereas x = # of bands), hey but maybe a new
category for FD :-) but I digress.

This is where I believe that having a new category (not rules / not
scoring)  for grid circle / pack / exclusive club / whatever name you
want to give it can be entered.  Let them beat each other up for the
top score.  I honestly believe that it would encourage other groups
that might feel a little bit slimy about doing it now, jump in and try
it themselves with no criticism from the traditional rover.  Heck, I
could probably put together a 4 vehicle / 4 band group here in S/E
Texas real easy.  Granted we wouldn't be competitive at first but over
time that could be expanded to more vehicles and / or more bands.

Since this discussion originally popped up I looked at the maps and I
could easily hit 12 grids on six corners with little effort or fuel.
The repeats would allow us to work other stations, that is if we heard
them.

Corner 1 = 29/-98 grids EL29 EL28 EL18 EL 19
Corner 2 = 29/-99 grids EL08 EL09 (repeat EL18 EL19)
Corner 3 = 30/-99 grids EM00 EM10 (repeat EL08 EL09)
Corner 4 = 31/-99 grids EM01 EM11 (repeat EM00 EM10)
Corner 5 = 31/-98 grids EM21EM20 (repeat EM11 EM10)
Corner 6 = 30/-98 grids (repeat EM10 EM20 EL29 EL29)

(and it wouldn't be too hard to get 32/-99 & 32/-98 as well picking up
three more grids)

I even went to maps.google.com and entered those corner coordinates
and printed maps for those corners.  BTW if you haven't used google
maps go put 29.657067 -95.083902 (QTH of ars KA5CVH) in the search bar
and click search.  While you are there check out the satellite &
hybrid views too!

--
Mike Urich, KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com