[VHFcontesting] Time to stop handicapping Rover scores yet? [was:Poll Al

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Time to stop handicapping Rover scores yet? [was:Poll Almost Closed...]
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:01:13 -0700 (PDT)
> This is where I believe that having a new category
<snip>
> I honestly believe that it would encourage other
> groups that might feel a little bit slimy about
> doing it now, jump in and try it themselves

I agree that others do it, and feel slimy.  I did, and
I did.  I stopped.

The class can become reinvigorated simply by treating
Rovers as equals.  We must stop applying a handicap
(the golf term) to their score.  They are better than
that.  They deserve to be gauged on the same scale
that everyone else is.  That is the key.

Creating another category is problematic on other
levels.  The logical conclusion of such a strategy is
that Rovers will feel empowered to continue working
each other at the exclusion of anyone
else...effectively reducing the number of them that
will be logged by others.  That would be sad.

Regards,
Ev