Re: [VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint - And a reasonwhy to n

To: k3uhf@earthlink.net,"Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>,VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint - And a reasonwhy to not crowd 144.200
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:20:28 -0700 (PDT)
I did a detailed analysis a few years ago for my log in the
January 2004 ARRL contest. My conclusions: It is it is a
counter productive strategy to just cling to the calling
frequencies. Even if you are a big gun. For that contest a
full 50% of my my Q's and new (or only time worked)
multipliers were made on frequencies that were more than 10
kHz away from 144.200. I haven't looked at other contests
since but suspect that they are generally similar.

I live in a relatively rural area with pretty solid reach
into metro areas like Chicago, Milwaukee, Mineapolis. Many a
time I'd hear people on or near the calling frequencies from
those areas who cannot hear me because of their local QRM on
144.2. The net result is we both lost the Q, and also there's
a good chance that they missed a new multiplier as well. The
bottom line is that it does pay to be constantly looking +/-
50 kHz or more from 144.2

See my Jan 04 analysis here:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/VHFcontesting/2004-04/msg00022.html

Duane