Re: [VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint

To: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 07:40:57 -0700
On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:23:43AM -0500, Zack Widup wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Bruce Herrick wrote:
>
> > Well said, Fred.  The Sprint QSY rule is very polarizing.  Some of the
> > best contesters on HF love it as it gives them a new challenge, but many
> > who try the Sprint for the first time never go back to it because of
> > this rule.  When we are trying so hard to attract new blood to VHF+
> > contesting, I fear implementing this rule would be very
> > counter-productive.
> >

> VHF contesting is quite different from HF contesting.  Although the HF
> sprint QSY rule is fun, I think it would be devastating on VHF.  When you
> have beams that have a pattern only 30 degrees wide or less, it's hard
> enough getting the attention of a station who's sitting on one frequency.
>
> Maybe instead of a frequency QSY rule, we ought to have a "beam swinging"
> rule?  :-)

I guess I see the use of the QSY rule in VHFing as a way to kick the big gun
off the calling frequency for a short period of time and make them QSY to
another frequency.  I don't really understand how this is going to be a
big problem for anyone but the big gun.

By opening up the utility of the calling frequency for some smaller guns to
make an occasional QSO - I think we improve the experience for them - and
maybe there will be more fun in it for the smaller guns - and there will be
more of them for the big guns to work.

And - at least in this area - getting people to move around some will help
spread things out instead of everyone trying to make their QSOs on the
calling frequency.

Tree