Re: [VHFcontesting] VUAC

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VUAC
From: Alex <extraham@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:55:16 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Jim Worsham wrote:

> As an advisory committee we do not set our own
>agenda.  We can propose topics for study but in the end the Programs and
>Services Committee sets the agenda and makes the decisions.

In other words, you (the committee) are not representing the VHF/UHF community,
but are representing the ARRL. There is a big difference. I guess that's where
part of the confusion comes from. The committee is just there to study whatever
is mandated by the ARRL. The ARRL decides what is important to them with regard
to VHF/UHF operations, not the community.

Thanks for that clarification. It's just another ARRL special interest
committee, just like the Digital Advisory Committee. Of course one may wonder
of what importance such a committee is for the a group they do not represent
(the VHF/UHF Community). So far it seems that the committee is only brought to
life to give the appearance of representation and is given a non-issue to
study. One on which there is already consensus.

>If there is something you think we should
>be studying we would certainly like to hear from you and we can propose it
>to the Programs and Services Committee but you might also want to consider
>taking it directly to that committee.

There are far more important things to study then what goes on on 144.200. Take
for instance the impact of Spread Spectrum modes on traditional VHF operations.
Now that's and issue with some beef to it. Of course, the ARRL has clearly a
stated position on this issue (proven by a recently obtained experimental
license to operate in 300kHz wide Spread Spectrum mode right next door to weak
signal portion on 6m, their FCC filings, and their support of the development
of a modem that uses the same modulation scheme as BPL(!) on VHF), all this
with almost total disregard to weak signal operations on VHF.

>Another question that was asked was who is on the VUAC.  The following is a
>list of all the members.  I didn't include any contact info because of the
>open nature of this forum but I am sure if you want to talk to your
>representative you can find a way.

See, and this is confusing again. They are not "your" representative, they are
ARRL representatives. They have no constituents (they are not elected), and
their agenda is not set by "you", the VHF/UHF enthousiast. They are more like
sales representatives.

It's disappointing that the ARRL didn't choose to take nominations from the
VHF/UHF community for the seats on this committee.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com