Re: [VHFcontesting] poll

To: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] poll
From: Frank Brickle <brickle@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:46:28 -0500
frank bechdoldt wrote:
> is that geosynchronous?

Nope. But the goal is to have it accessible over most of its
orbit, and it's effectively a store-and-forward system with
offline retrieval. The idea is also to have more than one,
eventually, so that the general facility will be available 100% of
the time.

The ground system really will be minimal, too. The design and
production are integral parts of the whole Eagle system project.
The spec is for handheld, low power consumption, target cost ~$500
total. The text messaging part of the system is pretty simple,
though, and it's U up/V down, so there's no particular reason you
couldn't run it on a PDA and your own radios/antennas.

> even if the rover and portable cant be real time I imagine they would be
> in a differnt class than the home station.

That's something to think hard about. Most of the brains in the
system will actually live on the ground. The terrestrial servers
could perfectly well be accessible over the internet without any
special software -- the protocol is XMPP, formerly Jabber, so
there's essentially nothing to be done to get home users' stations
hooked up to the system.

73
Frank
AB2KT