Re: [VHFcontesting] poll cont...

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] poll cont...
From: "Buck Calabro" <kc2hiz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 12:30:50 -0500
Hi Frank,

> What you and I do and others is in
> the spirit of the contest.

The problem is a practical one of how one determines whether one's
actions are in fact in the spirit of the contest or not.

> Exploiting a rule to generate points with
> 2 other vehicles with equipment you also
> own is not cheating. Its exploitation of the rules.

The rules are the practical implementation of the spirit of the
contest.  The spirit of the contest is to generate more points than
anybody else.  No matter how one changes the rules, there _must_ be a
winner: that's the point.  That's why it's a contest.  The rules are
there specifically to be exploited; to find the way to make the most
points.

Making another category of a particular winning strategy might seem a
good idea, but I have not a clue how to write the rules in a way that
makes this practical.  Have you heard any practical proposals to
define and categorise pack roving, etc.?

73 de Buck, KC2HIZ/r