[VHFcontesting] rover tech - coax

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] rover tech - coax
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:12:34 -0700
The problem with LMR 400 thats not flexable is the fact that its not flexable. You might find yourself with broken solder points with a non flexable lmr 400. Soldering on top of the car sucks.

Always keep one or 2 spare coaxes of the longest piece in your set up in case of problems. I loose a coax on every run. Usually in a fitting where the outer jacket breaks free of the solder due to vibration.

Which leads me to suggest that you tie wrap your coax as close to the antenna connection as practical without dammaging it. If your going to do this every contest, just buy the antennas to do it all and leave the coaxes connected to them.

Also check out e-bay for deals on short lengths of flexable hardline. I have yet to have that stuff fail and it makes a good tie down to strap the lmr 400 ultra flex to.

Organize your coaxes with tywraps too, you might have to mess it up to fix something but its better than starting off with a rats nest.

k3uhf