Re: [VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?

To: "Shupienis, Joseph" <jshupienis@ccac.edu>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?
From: "David Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 17:24:25 -0000
Hello Joe,

I noted the same problem in discussions with Fred, N1DPM about maximizing
our contest scores. Fred was behind the NC1I  MM in the 90s. They had great
results from Western MA as a limited multi on 50 thru 432..  It all boiled
down to the problems associated with finding another station in the minimum
amount of time. I likened it to the Drake equation in astronomy for finding
extra terrestrial life. Frank Drake was a pioneer in SETI among other
things.  His equation in a simplified form:

N = N* Fp*Ne*Fi*Fl*Fc*FL

N = number of hams you will QSO in any contest.
N* = The number of hams who were or will be ever QRV.
Fp = The fraction of N who have VHF gear.
Ne = The fraction of hams who have non FM VHF gear
Fl = The fraction of Ne who got on in the VHF contests.
Fi = The fraction of Fl who made their stuff actually work!
Fc = The fraction of Fl who point their sharp array at you. This includes
your sharp array too!!
FL = The fraction of all hams who happen to be alive at the moment.

You can also throw in the number of bands you have, and time spent with
unforseen problems. All serve to limit your success at hearing a certain
station. The "two ships passing in the night effect"!!

It is a daunting problem.  Throw in a wild 50 MHz band, and the single ops
are knocking off multipliers rather than searching out anything else!!!  A
better way to visualize this problem with a quiet 50 MHz band, is to think
about the beamwidth of a single op station's antenna system. Assuming that
he rotates it equally over 360 degrees, you will only hear him for  BW/360
as a percentage for each hour.  Now think about your pattern. If it is not
omni directional, then you have to factor in youir own aiming habits.
Multiplying two fractions together makes for an even smaller fraction.
YIKES!!!  That makes the problem worse!! I came to the conclusion that the
only way you would work some stations was to stay at one spot for the entire
contest. Only then will the odds start to go in your favor to work a
particular single op station. It is the same problem I always note in a VHF
sprint. Because I am not in a prime direction where most casual users will
be aiming, (NYC or PHILLY) I cannot work many stations that are in range and
fully capable of making a contact with me. In four hours of the Sprint, the
chances of our beams lining up are somewhat meager. That is why I made a
very broad yagi array to cover more territory. The solution for a rover is
to rove in NYC or Philadelphia, (heh heh)  or try to develop a strategy to
maximize your signal to a wider geographic area. Some combination of omni
and switchable small yagis can help, but there are so many constarints in a
rover-mobile, that you just have to live with it. Operating skill comes in
real handy here. You need to know where the serious guys are (beam heading
wise) and beat the bushes to drag them out.   I think September is a better
contest for rovers, as single ops will be paying more attention to local
grids as 50 Mhz typically does not produce huge grid totals.  The rover
become very important.

73
Dave K1WHS

Someone needs to develop a zoom lens yagi for VHF!!