Re: [VHFcontesting] Controversy

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Controversy
From: Glen Overby <goverby@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 29, Jul, 2008 14:39:15 -0000
Dave Agsten, N8AG wrote:
> I think that rather than complaining about the "Grid Circling" guys, they
> should be given credit for their innovation and technical expertise. You
> have to admit, they put together some very fine rover setups. I agree with
> another post on he re that they could win no matter what. They would
> probably win  as rovers or fixed stations if they chose to do so.

Well, I guess I must be completely missing it then.  I don't see anything
innovative about grid circling and I don't see much technicly challenging
about their setup - either electronicly or mechanicly.

Help me out here.  What were there innovations?  What were their technical
accomplishments?

>From the pictures of their rovers, they seem to be running a bunch of small
antennas on a steel box.  I think, at a minimum, that my rover setup matches
theirs.  With my rover I've worked QSOs of hundreds of MILES not hundreds of
FEET.

Glen, kc0iyt/r