Re: [VHFcontesting] psyched out

To: k7cw@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] psyched out
From: Ron Hooper <w4wa@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:26:07 -0500
Hi Paul

Thanks for the follow up. I agree that passing the 6 digit grid during the
exchange might not be attractive to many operators including myself on some
bands.

On 902 mhz and up to 2.3 ghz I run very high gain antennas at 100 feet. My
goal during the contest is to work as many stations as possible. I found
that getting the antennas lined up from both stations is very difficult,
even if you went up the bands one at time. My computer logging program will
take a 4 or 6 digit grid and calculate the heading and distance. I basically
know most people around here that are on the bands above 432 and have
took time to program their fixed station 6 digit grids into the computer so
I can get the antenna on them a little quicker. Now if a rover shows up, and
he knows his 6 digit grid, I can enter his grid into the logging program and
it will give me a more precise heading at the push of a few key strokes. I
also calculate and pass my heading back to him for my station but I usually
only log his 4 digit grid since he will be in another location later and
it will not help later.

I think logging 4 digit grids should be required and 6 digit grids should be
optional. Actually I have been turning in logs in to the ARRL with 6 digit
grids logged. I do not remember any problems running the cabrillo file using
TR logger or received any feedback that it has caused a problem. There maybe
other reasons why some want a 6 digit grid in the exchange so let them use
them if they want. I dont care if they want to use 8 digit grids if it helps
to make the contact. Perhaps someone else can explain why they need to use 6
digits that is different from mine.

Ron