[VHFcontesting] Announcements in VHF contesting and other topics.....

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Announcements in VHF contesting and other topics.....
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 17:54:07 -0500
Hello to everyone interested in this topic.....

George-K5TR has called me to task concerning some of my English. Specifically about my use of HFer and such terms. He is absolutely right, I was sloppy....that seems to happen to me at 2AM. I will try to be more careful....when I said HFer, I should have said HF Philosophy or HF Philosophy person. In general, of course, HFer and HF Philosophy person are one and the same.....but not in every case as George has pointed out.

Unfortunately, this topic has split into several different ones. My original posts were strictly about allowing Announcements in the ARRL contests, similar to what is allowed in the CQ WW VHF contest. Did anyone notice how quickly that split into a thread that wants Announcements for all modes, a thread that wants contesting to be like it was "in the thrilling days of yesteryear", and a couple of others.

I advocate for Announcements in the ARRL VHF contests for digital EME and digital MS precisely because 1)it will make those contests a lot more fun to operate AND 2)it is a reasonable goal that has a decent chance of being enacted. Baby steps at first are much more likely to be accepted than trying to achieve the "whole enchilada" at once. Let's get this done and prove that the whole world of VHF contesting does not dissolve into chaos......we know that it will not from the CQ WW results.

CONCERNING THOSE THAT WANT NO ASSISTANCE:

Years ago, when the various Internet resources started coming on line, the world of HF contesting essentially degenerated into a cesspool of lying, cheating, and stealing. After every contest, there would be screams of FOUL by those claiming that station XXX used the spotting networks and so his score was higher. There was no way to prove this, so things got really messy for a while. After much hullabaloo, the HF world finally created Assisted classes, which gave those that wanted to use the various Internet resources a place to play. If my understanding is correct, things are pretty well settled out now.

In the VHF contesting world, we do NOT have any assisted classes, so we have the same tension that the HF world had years ago. However, there are a lot of people that do not want any new classes in VHF, because more classes would further fragment what activity we do have. This is where the tension occurs. Many VHF operators want Announcements but don't want to create a whole new pile of Assisted classes.

The Anti-Assistance folks seem to want to have contesting to be like it was in the 1970s....no Internet, no spotting(packet or otherwise), no nothing. One sage called this "just a boy and his radio" type of operation. IF you believe that this is the way that you want to operate, GO FOR IT!!! Nothing is stopping you right now. Light a candle, descend into your basement, and work everything that you can. If this is how you wish to measure your manhood(sorry gals), it's no skin off my nose. Of course, hidden in the background, is the idea that you still want to have a better score.

This is Assistance vs Non-Assistance a philosophy issue(its almost a religious issue). A few years ago, I was astounded to find out that there were people that wanted to run contests completely "in the blind" with no help at all. I continue to be astounded by this point of view. Please read my first essay at http://www.k5qe.com/1stpost.html. This essay was made several years ago.....so some of it is not timely today, but in general it lays out the philosophy issues well. The current ARRL rules prohibit this, prohibit that, oh and you can't do this either. The effect is to artificially MINIMIZE the number of contacts that you make rather than MAXIMIZING them. When I contest, I want to make very contact that is possible with my station and the given propagation conditions. To me that is what contesting is all about--MAKING contacts.

CONCERNING THE DESIRE FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR ALL MODES AND CLASSES:

It is clear, at least to me, that if Announcements are allowed, they should be allowed to all classes. The discrimination against the Single Ops must stop! However, there are some problems with this idea. Some are structural and some are political.

STRUCTURAL:
A)If every two bit VHF station announces every 5 min, the reflectors would be completely overwhelmed. Some method needs to be found to solve this problem....maybe peer pressure would work, but I doubt it. B)Posts concerning a massive opening in CN87 or FN54 are essentially useless to someone where I live. It is extremely unlikely that I could work either of those locations from here...even on 6M.

There may be other objections, so if you have one, please forward it to the group for consideration.

Something will have to be done to ameliorate these problems. I am open to suggestions.

POLITICAL:
I believe that getting Announcements through the ARRL for all modes and classes would be next to impossible. The HF Philosophy folks would cry out that "the sky is falling" and would do everything possible to block it....since it does not sit well with their world view. We need to show that Announcements for digital MS and digital EME work, make the contest a lot more fun, and don't harm anything.

SUMMARY:

Let's start working the Directors to get this limited idea written into the rules. It is a good start and should be doable.

As usual, flames/diatribes/rants/etc go directly to the bit bucket. Thoughtful comments welcome.

73 Marshall K5QE