Re: [VHFcontesting] Spotting and the DX Cluster in VHF contesting...

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Spotting and the DX Cluster in VHF contesting...
From: Darryl Holman <djholman@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 19:08:57 -0700
Hmmm...it seems like there are (at least) four distinct groups of users, and perhaps different tools would be needed for some or all of these constituencies:

1. Local or regional stations using almost any mode at almost any time

2. Meteor scatter stations (larger distances)

3. EME stations (global, but a good tool could limit spots to only stations with a possible EME path)

4. Rovers (mostly regional, but possibly from stations lacking internet access)

For my rover operations, anything that requires me to have direct internet access will not always work. I use my cell phone to connect to the internet all the time, but some of the best places to rove in the Pacific Northwest are outside of cell phone-data range. On top of that, even with internet access, posting to list servers, chat rooms, & spotting networks is not something I would have a lot of time to do with the style of roving that I do.

I wonder what tools already exist for rovers? Obviously, APRS is the easiest infrastructure to use in that there is a large network of receiving stations. And, with the right software the operator should never even have to interact during the contest beyond initially setting up the APRS station. But for the willing rover op, APRS messages like frequency, mode, direction, and sequence are easily accommodated.

So what tools are available for tracking rovers during VHF contests? As far as I can tell, the very popular aprs.fi doesn't provide a mechanism to track a fixed list of station at a time. Openaprs.net does allow for this. But, using openaprs would require each fixed station (looking for rovers) to create a tracking list of all rovers in a region. Also, openaprs.net doesn't seem to show the grid (at least not that I can determine).

I can imagine a better tool: One where each ROVER station registers for a contest. Then a fixed station clicks on the contest of interest and can see all registered rovers located within the map area being viewed. Ideally, the call sign and grid would be the basic display (the server would generate the grid so that the rover doesn't have to take the time to report it), and a click on the station icon would display additional information (frequency, mode, etc.). The map would display grid lines and grid labels. Does anybody have plans to develop such a tool? (The tool would be useful for state/regional QSO parties as well, using counties instead of grids).

Are there better tools available right now? Are there reasonable alternatives to APRS for the rover with limited internet capabilities?

BTW: I'll be using APRS on Wednesday during the 432 MHz Sprint as practice for the June VHF contest. Fixed stations might test out openaprs.net and any other tools that folks suggest by using a list of rover stations posted here.

Best,
  Darryl
  ww7d