Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Panadapting

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF/UHF Panadapting
From: Patrick Thomas <p-thomas@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:40:49 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Is there a certain aspect you're thinking of that makes it "out of reach" for
the 736R?  I don't have a 736 but some web searching seems to suggest "The 2nd
IF of 13.690 MHz can be tapped at the emitter of Q09 (2SC535B). Ideal is the
connection point of R38 and C39."  If you are aware of particular gotchas,
please share!

As N5UWY pointed out, conventionally the IF is fed to a small SDR (RTL-SDR,
etc.) which covers the relevant frequency(s).  If you're at 13MHz, you may need
one with a built-in downconverter.

At one point there was a whole Yahoo group devoted to hacking radios for
SDR-based spectrum scopes, but it mysteriously disappeared one day.  I've
considered something similar with my IC-9100 though the newness hasn't worn off
yet. :)  Would like to hear how it goes for you if you try the mod.

Patrick
KB8DGC