[VHFcontesting] Emailing updates during portable operations

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Emailing updates during portable operations
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 08:28:09 -0700
Hi, the recent email from Marshall has reminded me of an issue I have
encountered during my terrestrial VHF activities.   It can be very challenging
if not impossible to login to a typical web site from some of the locations I
operate from.   However I expect I could often manage to at least send a short
email via the text message functionality from my iPhone and conceivably I could
also send short emails via HF winlink / Pactor or a satellite phone.

If there was a chat board / web site for the VHF community that allowed one to
post updates via brief emails I expect I would be an enthusiastic user.

I don't see my self acquiring good enough internet connectivity during my back
country portable operations to log into web sites but being able to send short
emails is probably feasible for me.

During one my grid expeditions last summer when I announced I wouldn't have
Internet access I received emails after the fact asking why I wasn't using ping
jockey so I believe there is a perceived need for this type of system but I
realize the effort may be non trivial and the user base would be small.

I realize I could also post to this message list but I believe I have to send
from the email address I used to subscribe to the list which may complicate
things  ?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

73

Mark S