Re: [VHFcontesting] Emailing updates during portable operations

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Emailing updates during portable operations
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 09:39:49 -0600
During contests, a lot of guys are sending SMS (text messages) from their
cellphones to APRS.  I forget if there is an app required, but the guy who
started that whole thing is on this list - he'll probably fill in the
details.

If you spread the word about being out in a particular location (or roving)
at a particular time, people can watch for your call using one of the
on-line APRS monitor pages and see your messages updating.  Having cell
coverage is the only criteria.  For SMS, you don't need very good cell
coverage....

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner