Re: [VHFcontesting] Emailing updates during portable operations

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Emailing updates during portable operations
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 09:41:56 -0700
A few comments:

My track record making contacts from rare grids with no prior notice by calling
CQ on 50.125 for example has been very poor.   A system that allowed me to
notify interested amateurs when I happen to be in a rare grid (without Internet
access) would be useful.   It would make these trips more fun for me.  I don't
believe there are enough people listening to calling frequencies and
continually circling their beams listening for weak signals to make random cq's
very productive outside of sporadic E or F skip or similar openings on six
meters.

Even if I do give prior notice of a visit to a rare grid it would be nice to be
able to confirm that I am actually on the air.  More contacts would make the
trips more fun for me.

I am willing to make a reasonable effort to at least get the ability to send
short  emails from the back country but the bulk of the internet based systems
that "like minded" amateurs seem to be using these days to coordinate VHF and
up contacts appear to cater to users that have broad band Internet connectivity
which makes them limited use for me at times.   That being said I am grateful
for these systems and use them when I can.

73

Mark S

VE7AFZ

mark@alignedsolutions.com