Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 9700

To: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 9700
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 11:00:25 -0600
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com> wrote:
> Expectations are that the radio is going to be expensive, some European
> stores have it listed at 1500EUR. It looks pretty awesome, and I hope it
> sells well enough that more companies get back on that train, but it's out
> if my price range.

Since it's nowhere near available that's probably just a guess at the
MSRP.  I thought the exchange was closer to 2:1 but I see that €1500
is US$1800 or so.  That's cheap if they don't bother with a "UX" for
1.2GHz and just build in the 3rd band (I bought an IC-910H with UX-910
for $1400 last year).

It's Icom, though, so they'll probably spend thousands in engineering
money making L-band a $1000 removable box which won't be available in
a few years because so few are made.

I love Icom stuff but they make questionable marketing decisions
(*cough*D-STAR*cough*).