Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 9700

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 9700
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 09:54:59 -0600
On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not familiar with the 9700 but I wonder if the W1GHZ 222 transvertet
> for the FT817 can be made to work on it? 222 is a great band and even with
> 10 watts as a Single Op Portable in contests I work everyone I can work on
> 144 and 432.

Unreleased.  Prototype was shown at Tokyo Hamfair.

https://www.n1fd.org/2017/09/18/icom-ic-9700-prototype/

Only 3 antenna ports so likely online 144/432/1296 (and it appears it
will really be a tribander - no UX for 1296!).

222 not being a ham band in Region 3 (or at least not in Japan)
eliminates Icom's home market which means we're not likely to see it.
(JVC/Kenwood clearly has different rules - see, for example, the
TH-D74)

Looks like the same chassis as either the IC-7300 or IC-R8600.

Glad to see they are returning to the VHF-and-above-only market
instead of adding bands to the IC-7410.