Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] [amsat-bb] 5 Band VUCC Award

To: <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "'AMSAT BB'" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>, "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] [amsat-bb] 5 Band VUCC Award
From: "Kevin Hobbs" <ve3kh@cogeco.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 07:29:10 -0400
Well said Joel ... I concur ! 73 VE3KH

-----Original Message-----
From: VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting-bounces@contesting.com> On Behalf Of
w5zn@w5zn.org
Sent: April 23, 2019 7:13 AM
To: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>; vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu; AMSAT BB
<amsat-bb@amsat.org>; Bruce <kk5do@amsat.org>; Greg Sarratt W4OZK
<w4ozk@arrl.org>; VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>

A 5-Band VUCC award would be nice however I'm not sure it would increase
activity on the bands beyond an individual's current effort of achieving a VUCC
award on each band that currently exists. What advantage/incentive does it
offer beyond having five separate VUCC awards? When the 5-Band DXCC award was
created individual band DXCC Awards were not available as they are today.

Speaking just strictly from my personal situation, I have 11 single band VUCC
awards (50 MHz thru 24 GHz). If a 5-Band VUCC award became available I would
simply submit my existing individual award credits for a 5-Band award without
getting on the air. If the award required an individual to start from scratch
to achieve a 5-Band VUCC I have to confess I have absolutely no desire to get
on the air and pursue that all over again and would not do so. From my normal
operating perspective (and I realize those of you who know me would not certify
me as being
"normal") it would do nothing to increase my on-the-air activity.

What would stimulate me to get on the air more outside of a contest weekend is
something John, AF5CC, mentions below. A VUCC Challenge Award similar to the
DXCC Challenge Award where total grid count on all bands would come in to play.

Please do not read my comments as poo-pooing a 5-Band VUCC award. I believe it
would be very nice. I just do not see how it would stimulate and increase
activity since single band awards are already available.

73 Joel W5ZN