Re: [VHFcontesting] [amsat-bb] [VHF] 5 Band VUCC Award

To: John Geiger <af5cc2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [amsat-bb] [VHF] 5 Band VUCC Award
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 16:27:05 -0500
To my knowledge no U.S. amateur has earned VUCC for laser (light) contacts.
Last time I checked, both award recipients were Mexican hams.

Earning all of them would be quite the challenge (and virtually impossible from
a home QTH)

I fully support a VUCC award for Rovers, administered by the ARRL. But everyone
should be aware that would require considerably more programming changes to
LoTW. These are not trivial factors.

Lastly, I completely disagree for anyone who disparages satellite operation for
VUCC, or digital modes. This has been discussed at length and resolved long
ago.

There has long been a VHF/UHF Century Club Award for Satellites, and earning it
should count towards 5BVUCC.

The skills required for digital modes and satellites are different than those
required for other modes—but they are legitimate skills. Just as the skills
required for success on microwaves is very different than the skills needed for
2 Meters.

Discussions about what is or is not more legitimate are fruitless and distract
us from what should be common goals. More activity on VHF/UHF is a good thing.
I’ve enjoyed learning about all of it. Hope to keep learning as I explore EME
and optical communications.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Maylene, AL
EM63nf
AMSAT #38965, ARRL Life Member, CVHS Life Member, SVHF Member