Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m FM LNAs?

To: kb3sig@gmail.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m FM LNAs?
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 00:06:15 +0000 (UTC)
ARR no longer sells mast mounted LNAs.  I called them last week and I was told
they dropped the product line due to high cost and low sales.

 I had a SSB 432 mast mounted pre amp that I stupidly shorted out, destroyed
and can't get fixed without sending it to Germany.  I cant find anything of
similar quality to ARR or SSB to replace it with.  There is a gentleman selling
a 2M ICOM (Quality) used pre amp at a ridiculously low price but it pulls power
from the center conductor (bias T required) and needs a sequencer  to switch
off power before transmit unless you have the right ICOM radio (910H I think)
to do that automatically.

I run LMR-400 with under a dB loss and 1.1 to 1.3 VSWR.  My 991A benefitted
greatly from the SSB 432 pre amp but the  SSB 2M pre amp did nothing for me.  I
have a 432 reciever sensitivity problem, 144 performance is awesome.  I suggest
you look at 2M cable loss and connector loss before getting a $400 pre amp.
After you minimize losses if you still have problems maybe you do need a pre amp

What radio are you using, what cable are you using, what connectors are you
using and how long are your feed lines?

If you want I will sell you my SSB SP 200 100W pass through RF sensing 2m pre
amp at $300 to help offset my cost of buying a new SP70.  It's been used for
just 3hrs last January, though I suggest you minimize all losses first, that is
a lot cheaper.

73
John
KM4KMU