Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m FM LNAs?

To: "dave@highredline.com" <dave@highredline.com>, Dennis Allen <N9TZL@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m FM LNAs?
From: Jeffrey Guenther via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 04:12:02 +0000 (UTC)
Everyone,
Not a skilled 2 meter weak signal nor FM operator.  I have a TE systems amp
which I use for both modes.  Also have an Advanced Receiver Research pre-amp in
the shack.  I have heard mast mounted pre-amps are the way to go.  I would say
both my pre-amps make a neglecable difference.  Yes, they amplify the noise
equally as well as the signal.
I used to have an RF Concept amp in the car for FM simplex work with a 5/8 wave
supposedly gain antenna.  It made for fun communication on simplex.  Some could
hear me and some couldn't.
If you are using the radio in your car get the best vertical antenna you can
buy and settle for that. For me that was the   Diamond NR22L monoband vertical
antenna. The most important thing for
 VHF is height of the antenna.  You just do not have that with a car unless you
are top of some hill.
Jeffrey KA2BKG

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:34 PM, David Gottschalk<dave@highredline.com>
wrote:   Thought I'd save someone the time and share the link to the article
Dennis
was talking about:

http://www.w1ghz.org/small_proj/Simple_Cheap_MMIC_Preamps.pdf

Thanks,