Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m FM LNAs?

To: Dennis Allen <N9TZL@outlook.com>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2m FM LNAs?
From: Gregory Winters <greg_winters@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 03:50:43 +0000
Thanks for that!

His design is at 144 MHz with values at 1000pF for C1, C2, and C3, and 56nH for
L1. Not sure if that would change, or which way, for 146.5. A formula out
there? Maybe the design just gets less gain as a consequence when up a bit
higher, but still works (that's ok).

But at $2 thats a worthy project. Yay!

If its no good at 146.5 then I have a cheapie LNA for 2m SSB. Then change some
values and try again.

I'll use a sequencer at some point ($30) and I wasn't impressed with the cost
of linears with preamps. A sequencer will handle this just fine. Much cheaper
than a linear or a big LNA, and essential anyway if using a linear. How many
Mirages out there have bad preamps due to RF sensing!?

It may be unfortunately true that upping a LNA on FM may just raise the signal,
but also the noise floor just the same. It might be my mobile and residential
noise floor is just high. If so, I'd rather build something cheap than run a
$120 LNA just to find that out.

Thanks!

Greg, K3RW