Re: [VHFcontesting] Pick Up Truck Rovers

To: nosigma nosigma <nosigma@aol.com>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Pick Up Truck Rovers
From: K7XC Tim Marek <k7xcnv1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 05:13:11 +0000
K7XC - 4 band hyper competitive rover setup in 97' Ford F150 4x4 W/all
radios/amps on wire shelf across jump seats in king-cab.
Actively Competed 20 straight yrs every Sept & Jan till 2008 car crash left
me disabled in 24/7 pain. Stay close to home now.
IC706mkIIg - Diplexers split 2 ports into four, 28mhz HF=222 xvtr+amp, 6M
100W Barefoot, 2M +160W amp, 432+110W amp.
H frame in front of truck bed made from 1/2" thick  2" Aluminum angle.
Holds heavy wall aluminum masts 8ft tall from bottom of bed to the top, one
either side of truck.
Drivers Side Front of Bed. 10ft yagis for 2, 222, and 432 in place while
driving down the road.
Drive truck in circles when stopped to aim yagis. REMOVE REFLECTORS from
yagis to create large lobe off the rear which works well to rear.
Passenger side front of bed. Stacked 2M KB6KQ loops for 2, Single 222 loop
in the middle, 432 EggBeater On Top.
6M KB6KQ loop on Passenger Side Rear Bed. All in place while driving.
Use coax switched to change from Yagi to Horiz Omni while driving.
Cab roof covered with mag mounts for 6, 2, 223, and 446 FM. Separate FM
radios always on squelched.
Use a separate deep-cycle battery in a box in the bed charged via heavy
cables to a Isolator under the hood.
Carry a small 1000W class generator to charge when stopped.
The goal: ZERO setup time! Maximize QSOs while in motion between convenient
High Spots Along the route.
PLANNING: Take a long time to plan EVERYTHING from radios, antennas, etc...
to the most important of all... THE ROUTE.
A good route can take years of running it back and forth till you find the
right balance between Number of Grids activated vs Miles traveled.

That is a rough syllabus of how my ROVER was consistently in the top 10
nationally over 10 years back in the 1990's/2000's.

Your Mileage May Vary...

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09jh... sk

Adapt, Overcome, Succeed