Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for contesting

To: paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for contesting
From: Daniel Melato - K3TEF <daniel.melato@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 08:47:03 -0500
Hey Paul
I use the 9700 and its been a fantastic rig for me esp during contesting.
In fact I placed in the top ten for SOLP in June21. I currently only use
144 and 432 at the moment and plan to add 1296 in the future. I feed a
10ele 144 yagi at 40' with lmr 400flex (approx 45' run) and a 21ele 432
yagi at 36' with lmr600flex (approx 60' run)
I was using a ts 2000 before which was a great starter rig for VHF/UHF but
deaf rx compared to the 9700. I dont have any other 1st hand comparisons
with other rigs or transverter setups to give at the moment, but if given
the opportunity I would make the switch all over again and still choose the
9700. I do recommend getting a gps disciplined oscillator for the 9700. it
will correct any drifting, and keep your tx stable in the bandpass. esp for
digital modes 432 and above. I use the leo bodnar
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=234
for the $ the 9700 is a good purchase, it has been for me and Im glad I
bought it.
Cheers,
Dan K3TEF