Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for contesting

To: Paul Rollinson <paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for contesting
From: Terry Price <terry@directivesystems.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 09:09:01 -0500
Hi Paul,

I had a IC-9700 for several months, by far it's the best
multimode/multiband rice box to come out of Japan ever. Very smooth
operation, somewhat intuitive, great sensitivity, USB interface works great
for audio and CAT although you can't mix front panel mic and USB audio like
you can with a K3. If you plan to run an external preamp be careful about
gain, the front end can overload if too much signal is presented although
you can turn the internal preamp off. The one irritating thing about the
rig is they only provide one PTT output to key an external amp, there is a
place in the UK that sells a PTT breakout box.

The Leo Bodner mod for stability is something you should consider for
digital modes.

I sold mine and went back to my K3 and DEMI transverters, IMHO, it's still
the best solution and gives the best flexibility.

Terry Price - W8ZN
Directive Systems and Engineering
703-754-3876