Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for Contesting

To: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for Contesting
From: Jim Worsham <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 15:21:53 -0500
Yeah, it was always there it just doesn’t do what you think it does. It is
there to calibrate the internal TCXO which is fine but things like TCXOs don’t
stay calibrated forever and still drift some. Boneheaded move by Icom I agree.
That plus we now have people and modes that want the dial frequency plus or
minus 1 Hz forever. Only way to do that is ref loc to GPS. As I mentioned
before there are workarounds. One is a firmware update by Icom that makes the
9700 update the internal TCXO frequency every couple of seconds. That is what I
do and use an external 10 MHz OCXO. Works fine for me. There are those though
that isn’t good enough so there is a kit you can get that allows you to truly
ref lock it to GPS. Problem solved.

73
Jim, W4KXY

Sent from my iPad