Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for Contesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for Contesting
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 13:56:19 -0600
On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 1:46 PM Jim Worsham <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> The only negatives for the radio are the frequency stability issue, which is
> overblown IMHO, and the single amplifier keying connection. As others have
> pointed out there are workarounds available for both of those. If you want to
> get on 144, 432 and 1296 without messing around with transverters and a mile
> of cabling (been there and done that) it is the way to go.

It seems like people don't understand Parts Per Million or something.

Having just looked at the manual online (to see the pinouts on the
ACC1) I see an SMA for "[REF IN 10MHz]".  I don't recall seeing that
before - was that there in the initial run of units?  Because if it
was, I *really* don't see what the fuss was.