Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for Contesting

To: mikflathead@aol.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-9700 for Contesting
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 11:23:48 -0600
Lol.  DXEngineering has the 9700 on sale for US$1500.  Run that
through an inflation calculator to 1990 (and I think the FT-736 is
even older) and back then that would have been less than 800 bucks.

Almost all cars come with AC now because it's cheaper to make them all
one way than to build some one way, and some another.  Complexity
costs money (DeLorean does the insane math on c.1970 GM car options in
On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors).  Radios are no different.
Icom ... well, and Yaesu in the 736 ... had to spend engineer-hours
figuring out how to make the slot for band options (only one in the
870/910/911/9100, multiple in the FT-736) then engineer packaging for
the modules including all the connections.  Oh, and those connections
need to be good for at least 10-20 cycles.  Instead, finally, for the
9700, Icom said "nah, just have the robots solder the components in
like everything else" which is why it's only $800 in 1990 money.