[WriteLog] PTT asserted when it should not be

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PTT asserted when it should not be
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 07:36:48 -0500
--=====================_44930997==_.ALT

At 01:36 10/7/2001, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

> > In order to test that using a port for CW will turn off the DTR, I
>selected
> > port 4 and I get the message that shared radio and cw on the selected port
> > is not possible. WHY, what is happening here. In fact, I did not even
> > select a rig control box at all and II get that message. I cannot use Port
> > 4 or 3 for CW no matter what!
>
>I certainly don't know what you are doing differently than dozens of other
>WriteLog users.  Just to confirm that it works properly I went through the
>setup here ...
>
>I have two motherboard ports (COM1: and COM2:) at the default addresses and
>an add-on serial card (COM3: - COM6:) which share IRQ 10 and was properly
>installed in windows BEFORE installing Writelog.
>
>COM3-6 are defined as COMSLOT1 - COMSLOT4 in WRITELOG.INI.
>
>COM1 was a modem (unused now that everything is on the LAN)
>COM2 is a KAM I keep because I'm too lazy to get rid of it
>COM3 is presently unused
>COM4 is used to control an FT-1000(D).
>COM5 is used for FSK (if I chose to use FSK)
>COM6 was unused ... (used to setup RIGblaster for this test)
>
>In the ports setup dialog:
>
>    1) CW Keyer Type -> PC generates CW
>    2) COM3: (nothing checked)
>    3) COM4: Rig checked (FT-1000)
>    4) COM5: (nothing checked)
>    5) COM6: CW checked (ignore rig type)
>    6) All mode PTT on CW Port RTS (checked)
>    7) DVK type -> Windows Sound Board
>
>I can use any of the sound board TU types (MMTY or RTTYwrite) in
>Writelog (no need to select a "port" in the TU setup as the "all
>mode PTT" setting has taken care of that) and any of the stand
>alone digital mode software with an original RIGblaster and the
>FT-1000 without making any cable changes.
>
>When I finish the W5XD+ keyer, I will simply switch the RIGblaster
>to VOX (to disable the DTR/RTS lines) when I use WriteLog and connect
>the PTT line from the W5XD+ keyer to one of the PTT inputs (probably
>the foot switch jack) of the FT-1000 to provide all mode PTT.
>
>Again, it's not brain surgery ... it is all documented in the help
>files.  If your system isn't responding properly, I would suspect

It is responding as the program is designed and I agree it is not brain
surgery. As my other post shows I have capitulated to the requirement. I
just don't agree with ten design, that is all. I think that it should not
assert DTR on ANY port unless you want it to. If it did not, then that port
could be an indep[endat PTT port NOT being used for CW. That is the
problem. There is NO solution asthe program is currently written and
therefore I have changed. I now use the same prot for CW and PTT and all is
well.

>your add-on serial ports are not properly installed (addresses and
>IRQs not properly installed in the windows registry) and/or configured.
>Writelog makes only Windows API calls and does not address the hardware
>directly.
>
>73,
>
>    ... Joe, K4IK

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_44930997==_.ALT

At 01:36 10/7/2001, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:<br><br>
port for CW will turn off the DTR, I<br>
selected<br>
&gt; port 4 and I get the message that shared radio and cw on the
selected port<br>
&gt; is not possible. WHY, what is happening here. In fact, I did not
even<br>
&gt; select a rig control box at all and II get that message. I cannot
use Port<br>
&gt; 4 or 3 for CW no matter what!<br><br>
I certainly don't know what you are doing differently than dozens of
other<br>
WriteLog users.&nbsp; Just to confirm that it works properly I went
through the<br>
setup here ...<br><br>
I have two motherboard ports (COM1: and COM2:) at the default addresses
and<br>
an add-on serial card (COM3: - COM6:) which share IRQ 10 and was
properly<br>
installed in windows BEFORE installing Writelog.<br><br>
COM3-6 are defined as COMSLOT1 - COMSLOT4 in WRITELOG.INI.<br><br>
COM1 was a modem (unused now that everything is on the LAN)<br>
COM2 is a KAM I keep because I'm too lazy to get rid of it<br>
COM3 is presently unused<br>
COM4 is used to control an FT-1000(D).<br>
COM5 is used for FSK (if I chose to use FSK)<br>
COM6 was unused ... (used to setup RIGblaster for this test)<br><br>
In the ports setup dialog:<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 1) CW Keyer Type -&gt; PC generates CW<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 2) COM3: (nothing checked)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 3) COM4: Rig checked (FT-1000)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 4) COM5: (nothing checked)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 5) COM6: CW checked (ignore rig type)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 6) All mode PTT on CW Port RTS (checked)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 7) DVK type -&gt; Windows Sound Board<br><br>
I can use any of the sound board TU types (MMTY or RTTYwrite) in<br>
Writelog (no need to select a &quot;port&quot; in the TU setup as the
&quot;all<br>
mode PTT&quot; setting has taken care of that) and any of the stand<br>
alone digital mode software with an original RIGblaster and the<br>
FT-1000 without making any cable changes.<br><br>
When I finish the W5XD+ keyer, I will simply switch the RIGblaster<br>
to VOX (to disable the DTR/RTS lines) when I use WriteLog and
connect<br>
the PTT line from the W5XD+ keyer to one of the PTT inputs
(probably<br>
the foot switch jack) of the FT-1000 to provide all mode PTT.<br><br>
Again, it's not brain surgery ... it is all documented in the help<br>
files.&nbsp; If your system isn't responding properly, I would
It is responding as the program is designed and I agree it is not brain
surgery. As my other post shows I have capitulated to the requirement. I
just don't agree with ten design, that is all. I think that it should not
assert DTR on ANY port unless you want it to. If it did not, then that
port could be an indep[endat PTT port NOT being used for CW. That is the
problem. There is NO solution asthe program is currently written and
therefore I have changed. I now use the same prot for CW and PTT and all
is well.<br><br>
properly installed (addresses and<br>
IRQs not properly installed in the windows registry) and/or
configured.<br>
Writelog makes only Windows API calls and does not address the
hardware<br>
directly.<br><br>
73,<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; ... Joe, K4IK</blockquote>