Fw: [WriteLog] MMTTY frozen.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [WriteLog] MMTTY frozen.
From: walt@hawaii.rr.com (Walt Niemczura)
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:03:31 -1000
I had this problem, maybe.

I both the CQWW and JARTS test I ran into a problem where MMTTY
(and RITTY) would freeze. Most frequently it would do this in
transmit for no apparent reason and randomly.  Other times it would
just go dead, no action on the waterfall, FFT scope or XY scope.
I would have to exit RTTYRITE and restart. At one point it was
locking up each time I went to TX.

Early in the JARTS test I happened on a solution in my case. RF
in the keyboard. I put FIVE ferrite snap on rings (the 1.5",
38mm size). Two at the keyboard with a single turn of cable
through the ring and three at the PC plug also with a single
turn on cable.

Since then I've had no problems with MMTTY or RITTY. Before it
would lock up two to three times an hour on 15 and 20m. I
operated over 18 hours after the mod with no problems. Same
this weekend, in 11 hrs of operating WAE there was not a single
instance of a lockup.

I was driving me crazy. There were no spurious characters or
any other indication of an obvious kind. How did I guess this?
I switched from the Microsoft "Natural Keyboard Elite" to an older
IBM PS2 type ( I was making too may typos with the new beast).
The older one is somewhat shielded as opposed the plastic case
of the MS one. The latter is not designed for high rf environments.

I hope this helps.

73 and Aloha,

Walt
AH6OZ