[WriteLog] Sound board bad audio

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Sound board bad audio
From: k3dne@adelphia.net (Ed Kucharski)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:07:23 -0500
Yes!  I found the solution - at least to my low audio problems.
I use the Heil headset with the DX/contesting element (I forget the #).
The way I found to get more than adequate audio was as simple as a setting
in the "Volume Control" program of the soundboard.
On my Windows 95 computer I go to "Volume Control", Options, Properties
at the mixer device screen, click on recording then OK.  At the recording
control
screen click on mic balance, then advanced then click on 1AGC for Waveln.
On my Windows 98 computer (the family's computer) go to Volume control,
Options, Advanced Controls then Microphone balance,  then click the box for
1Mic Gain (+20dB).
Either way by going to the microphone balance box advanced controls and
clicking
the box for Mic Gain or 1AGC for waveln it added the audio needed to make
adequate
recordings.  At that point you just need to fiddle with the playback audio
and microphone
audio levels to make them equal so your recorded audio and mic audio is at
the same
level.  On my IC765 I put the meter in the comp setting and fiddle with the
controls
until they look equal - I also listen to my transmitted sig (into a dummy
load, of course!)
on a second rig.
I have noted a little hum even with a 1:1 audio xformer in line - I may try
the 1k/8ohm output
transformer suggested in another message to get the hum to go away.  It is
very low level
and I've never rcvd a comment about it in several contests but if I can
hear it I know others
can too.
Good Luck - let me know if this works.
73,