[WriteLog] Computer hardware question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Computer hardware question
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:07:59 -0500
> Current computer: Pent . pro 180 (Gateway) 32m ram
> 2.0g hd Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO Plug+Play card  ( did card
> check = 6f) Win98 No extra com ports (just what came stock)
>
> I can bring this home for free or can purchase a new comp.
> Would rather not spend the money

Some of the new machines would be nice but you probably have
90% of what you need in the Gateway.  I would look at adding
more memory (64 MB will cut a lot of swapping to disk, 128 MB
would be super if the motherboard supports it), extra ports
(several cards have been reported to work well over the last
few months) and perhaps upgrade to a dual monitor video card
(the previous generation of dual monitor NVIDA or Matrox
boards can be found for very attractive prices these days).
One could probably "build out" a used machine for $150 -
$200 (including a new sound card) and be quite satisfied
vs. the $600-$800 for a new machine.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK