[WriteLog] More on XP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More on XP
From: k4jrb@juno.com (Dave L Thompson)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 01:27:04 -0400
Client/server NT is most commonly used in industry but there is no
problem with peer to peer networking. You need full copies of WL on each
PC. Most commercial software and custom written software for NT does not
include everything that WL has regarding recovery.  With client server
there is usually another server nearby for quick recovery but I agree
this is not always feasible for amateur radio use.  Either way it sure
beats trying to make it work on MS DOS.

There are two versions of XP as several noted...the home edition and the
professional or office version.  Either way one can run W 9X programs.  I
suspect MS will keep this option for years to come.  Since you can't get
to MS-DOS (the DOS prompt) on either version it seemed to follow that
MS-DOS would not run.  I have a propagation program from 1985 or 1986
that I use and I loaded it and it does run.  The problem is the next
release of XP may not run the programs.  A copy of DOS 6 should be handy
to make sure the DOS programs run.

Several have asked questions and I will try to get back with an answer
shortly.  The wife is the expert and I am just a user!

73 Dave K4JRB