[WriteLog] More on XP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More on XP
From: n8ku@longwire.com (N8KU)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:35:27 -0400
On Thursday 04 July 2002 01:27, Dave L Thompson wrote:
> Client/server NT is most commonly used in industry but there is no
> problem with peer to peer networking.

There is no problem technically, just logistically: When you go to look for
something, do you always know where it is, or do you have to rummage through
the contents of several machines? Can you run one backup program and easily
get all the stuff from all the machines?

Personally, I run 4 servers here at home (one file & print, one
backup/DNS/Intranet, one music server, and one "experimental") and 3
workstations, but I still believe in centralization of resources.

> The problem is the next
> release of XP may not run the programs.  A copy of DOS 6 should be handy
> to make sure the DOS programs run.

I have been waiting for someone else to bring it up, but I guess it will be
me: I am a network professional, and I am certified every which way on
Microsoft networking products. But I believe that the future of networking,
especially for us *as hobbyists* is Linux. IMHO, anyone who is willing to
mess with the crudeness of DOS should get their hands on Linux ASAP.

I see there is already a PSK terminal available for Linux, and the list of
ham-oriented programs is now several pages long. There is even a ham-oriented
distribution. I believe WriteLog is the best interface software there is, the
question is, can we expect to see it on Linux..?

   l o n g w i r e . c o m

     80% CW - 100% HF