[WriteLog] First time user.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] First time user.
From: tom@gm4fdm.com (Tom Wylie)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:59:27 -0000
I upgraded WL just before the contest.   I played around with it just to get
the feel of it and sorted out the stuttery keyer problem after a short note
to the reflector.

As qwe would say in Scotland at first glance the programme seemed to be the
"bees knees!" or as you yankees might say - "the cats pyjamas."

However during the actual contest things didnt go that well!

I was using WL on my 850Mhz puter running under WIN98SE (as I have
difficulty using my other DOS contest loggers under XP etc).   My radio is
the FT1000MP and I was driving a Challenger 2 Linear into a Cushcraft 2 ele
yagi on 40m SOSB.

Prior to the Contest I was playing around with DXTelnet packet cluster,
which I run on my broadband cable model networked into a NIC in my puter.
EVERY lead to and from my puter has snap on ferrites and my rig/linear is
earthed via a heavy copper rod straight into the earth maybe 4 feet.   My
computer is NOT earthed per se.

On transmit I had frequent lock ups and was back to the stuttery morse.
The morse only improved when I disconnected the broadband modem.   Can
anybody tell me if they have experience with RF and broadband modems.
It is a 3Com from US Robotics.

I guess when I lick the RF problem the programme will be fb.
Now if I can just figger out how to run it in RTTY.... where did I put the
manual?  D'oh!

Tom
GM4FDM

----
(("I love children - but I couldn't eat a whole one!"))
-----
GM DX GROUP - Scotland's DX Association