[WriteLog] WL in a M/M Station

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL in a M/M Station
From: w2cs@bellsouth.net (Gary Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 06:56:43 -0500
Yet another question came to mind as I was reliving the CQ WW CW contest
this morning. The question has to do with band maps.

We were using TRLog in a 4-position M/M set up.  TRLog provides its band map
as a list of call sign/frequency pairs.  It works out to about 3 or 4
columns of these pairs. The pairs are sorted by frequency.  I'd say the
bottom 1/3 of the page was band map, and about 50-100 entries fit on that
page.

The problem I had with TR, and which I'm wondering WL might help, is that TR
becomes very cumbersome when the band map needs to exceed a page worth of
data.  You use CTRL-END to see the next page, but that page reverts to the
first band map page when you make the next QSO.  Not very useable.  Easy to
miss a mult that might be on page 2, for instance.

What does WL's band map look like under contest conditions such as last
weekend's CQ WW?  How many calls fit?  I know you can vary granularity of
the sliderule display, but doesn't that sliderule become a limiting factor?
How does one deal with a ton of spots?  If I could, I'd try this myself and
see, but I don't want to wait for the next contest ;-)

Thanks,

Gary W2CS