[WriteLog] Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Ports
From: jim@n7us.net (Jim McDonald)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:43:31 -0700
My favorite emporium of impulse buying, Costco, does have one with two
serial ports for about $800, I think, if anyone is that interested.

I use the one serial port on my 4-year-old Dell for FSK with a RigBlaster
Plus (yes, I know, I could make one cheaper) and use a Rocketport/Comtrol
USB-to-4-serial adaptor for the other stuff.

BTW, the counter argument to building your own, in my opinion, is if one
want to use it for other applications, so bundled MS apps would be
attractive, or want the simplicity and reliability of a Dell, for instance,
since the manufacturers have large seasonal markdowns.  Oh yes, the bundled
monitors.

My friend just got a new Dell 8250 (2.4 GHz, 512K RAM, blah blah) and a new
Dell flat panel 18" monitor from the REFURBISHED site at Dell.  He believes
that they're using the refurb channel as another outlet for the new stuff.
No sales tax from the refurb site, he says.

I apologize for a posting that is only indirectly related to WL.

Obviously lazy,
Jim N7US