[WriteLog] Multi-single band change timer

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Multi-single band change timer
From: nw0l@yahoo.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Wed Mar 12 10:21:51 2003
--- Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com> wrote:
> Our setup for CQ WW DX involves as many as four different stations,
> each with a networked WriteLog computer. At any particular time,
> any one of those stations  might be the "Run" station, while the
> others are the "Mult" stations. When we use the timer, it doesn't
> look like its giving us the info we need. It looks like the
> individual stations don't know who is Run and who is Mult.

You have to tell each station whether it's currently the run or mult station,
using the selections on the "Radio" menu. If you screw it up, your logging and
band changes will be wrong.

Depending on the contest and the category, there may not be a "B" or "Mult"
station -- the ARRL DX multi-single category allows only 6 band changes per
hour no matter what. So *all* radios that are to be used must be set as the
"Run" station, so that the contacts made on other radios are counted in the
band change totals. In that case, you ignore the "B" radio display in the band
change timer.

I haven't played with the timer for CQWW enough to determine how it needs to be
set up - but most likely you'd have to always keep the current "run" radio set
as such, and make sure all other radios are "mult"

This is one feature that's quite easy to test, even with only a single computer
- just set up the log and enter some contacts with various settings of run/mult
and on various bands, and determine for yourself whether the band changes are
being tracked properly according to the rules of the contest.

The ARRL DX "bug" you speak of was fixed just before the contest.

> Has anybody worked through this completely? I'd be interested in
> understanding  all the details and requirements so we can take
> advantage of this important feature.

We used the band change timer at PJ2T for the ARRL DX SSB contest as a
multi-two entry, and managed to put nearly 13,000 contacts in the log with only
one minor glitch (operator induced) in the radio tracking and band change
timing. So the feature works just fine, once you understand it.

-Marty NW0L
 martyt@pobox.com