[WriteLog] CW Keying Interface

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CW Keying Interface
From: bswadener@yahoo.com (Bryan Swadener)
Date: Thu May 29 21:45:21 2003
Lee,

Yes that will work though, you won't realize any isolation, since the grounds
for the radio and computer would be tied together. I recommend using some kind
of opto-isolator.  The 4N33 is a darlington output device but I'm thinking you
could use some other type. Unfortunately, "that national chain store" no longer
handles any optocouplers.  However, Digi-Key shows various versions available.
They will ding you an extra $5 if your order totals less than $25 but, they
have 'em... got anything else on your wishlist?

If that's all you need/want, I have a dozen or so 4N33s in my parts box.  I
don't mind slipping one to you in the mail... my fee is a lot lower (one 807)!
:^)

Bryan, WA7PRC

From: Lee Buller (k0wa@swbell.net)

OK, just need some comfirmation....

I decided to build a keying interface for WriteLog, but I cannot find a 4N33
anywhere.  Radio Shack does not carry them any more.  Really!  I even looked on
the Web too.

So, I reverted back to previous setup and a different program.  Will this work?
 Use a 2N2222.  From Serial Port Pin 4 to a 1K resistor to the base of the
2N2222.  The emitter is hooked to Pin 5 and the collector and emitter are used
to key the rig.

That should work with WriteLog???  Right???