RE: [WriteLog] Networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Networking
From: "Mike Fatchett" <mike@mallardcove.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:26:19 -0700
 TCP/IP should work too.  You might have to set up the xp machines with the
setup a home or small office network button found in My Network Places.  You
will also need to setup shares on each of the computers.

Running Netbui might be the easiest answer but I have a office network and a
home network with wireless and wired components and I don't use Netbui.

With TCP/IP you will need to make sure all the machines are in the same
subnet or address range such as 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.16 with a subnet
mask of 255.255.255.0  I don't believe a gateway is needed because you are
not trying to leave the network.  If you are connecting to the internet too
then the gateway would be the router that supplies the internet unless you
are sharing the internet via one of the XP machines.

Once you have Tcp/ip setup you should be able to Ping each computer using
the Command window.  Ping 192.168.0.2  and you should see a reply.

More details are necessary to help you further.

Mike
W0MU