re: [WriteLog] Writelog and Dual Video

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: re: [WriteLog] Writelog and Dual Video
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:23:46 -0800 (PST)
"Wayne King" <wfking@worldnet.att.net> Wrote:

> Can those of you who are using dual video cards with
> Writelog recommend one to me.
> My computer is 500 MHz micro with 128 Meg of ram.
> What dual video card would
> work with this setup. I have an extra 17" monitor
> not being used.

I have been have pretty good luck running 3 monitors
under Windows 2000,  1 card is a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
(AGP), and the second is a Compusa branded ATI Radeon
7500LE (PCI). The 9000 has two monitor outputs and the
7500 has 1. What I did find to be somewhat important
though is to match the amount of video RAM across
them. My current setup has 64MB per monitor, prior I
had a PCI card with significantly less RAM for the 3rd
monitor. It would cause some "jumpiness" when moving
applications between screens 2 and 3. The current
setup is completely smooth. Windows 2000 treats the 3
monitors as a single 3072X768 display.

I use the 3 monitors to run 4 separate sessions of
N4PY's Pegasus control software and WriteLog, all
together on the same PC. The 4 N4PY sessions are on
two of the monitors and WriteLog is on the third. I
can run all 4 radios simultaneously along with
Writelog and do not have to minimize anything when
jumping between the 50-432MHz bands during contests.

You may also find that a 500MHz machine may be
marginal, I was maxing out the CPU on a 750MHz/256MB
machine so I am now running an AMD XP2600+/256MB, now
I have some CPU headroom once again with everything
running.

Duane
N9DG