Re: [WriteLog] NG1I "WriteLog is Buggy"

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] NG1I "WriteLog is Buggy"
From: <steve@stevebb.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:05:46 -0000
Personally, I cannot think of any other contest logging program that
supports as many contests that Writelog covers - most cover the big contests
or from the "USA end" of a contest but if you are not in USA and play about
with the minor contests in addition, then Writelog (imho) is just perfect !

I've regularly been at the DX end running ZC4 and have hammered Writelog in
many different contests, regularly exceed 4,000 Q's and it has never
complained, never crashed and helped me to take a few #1 spots and several
Asian records. One contest I ran had a bug in the scoring - I think from
memory it was the Golden Jubilee contest (ie a one off) and someone wrote a
contest module to support it and made it available in plenty of time. Plug
in modules for the Russian, Scandinavian and German contests are FREELY
available and I disagree totally that Writelog is unsupported - sorry guys
but I'm a happy camper here !!

I have used a variety of logging programs over the years and the learning
curve for Writelog is relatively easy. There is the Writelog site itself and
support sites all over the place - some mentioned in this thread and lots of
others about. In my 6 years of using Writelog I have seen it grow and grow
and the help files/examples are what I use to train my local club station
operators prior to a contest. Any support I have asked for has been at the
other end of an email almost immediately - either from the developers or
from this reflector. Sometimes it is easier to slag something off than it is
to give praise - you have to realise that this program is probably not the
full time job for these guys and they have work and a family life balance
too. I would hate to see the impetus go because of something trivial, I'm
sure we all know of programs that have fizzled out because it perhaps
doesn't cater for there expectations just yet and the programers getting
annoyed at the bad press.

I used it for the first time in a M2 setup for CQWW SSB and without using
the manual configured the network and also the packet cluster without any
problem. As too I used the bandmap trolling through the previously worked
callsigns - ok I'm a gadget freak but it worked flawlessly for us.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this is my 2p worth - but I am
very happy with Writelog and the level of support !

Now let us all calm down before CQWW CW or we will all be getting busted
callsigns and blaming Writelog for it   ;-)

Steve
G4KIV / ZC4BS

ps I have nothing to do with Writelog other than being a happy user !

Homepage:  http://www.stevebb.com
Photo portfolio:  http://www.usefilm.com/member/steveb
Shutterpoint:  http://STEVEBB.shutterpoint.com
Email:  steve@stevebb.com