Re: [WriteLog] NG1I "WriteLog is Buggy"

To: Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] NG1I "WriteLog is Buggy"
From: Robert Ruvolo <ki6dy@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:53:15 -0800 (PST)
Time for me to chime in on this subject after reading
all the posts.

Chalk me up as a happy user of Writelog. I, in no
means, want to downplay the capabilities of N1MM
logger (many have mentioned it as a great program and
I have no reason to disbelieve this). I've never used
it so I can't comment on that. I did use CT and WF1B
prior to purchasing Writelog. IMHO, it is far superior
to either of those as I'm sure most would agree. My
experience comes from RTTY contesting mainly but I
have used Writelog for CW Sweepstakes, ARRL 10M and
ARRL 160M (CW only).

Somethings I can attest about Writelog are as follows:

1. Used it since 1998 and have seen many improvements
and additions.
2. With one computer I am controlling two different
radios, and two different TNC's simultaneously.
3. Have used it networked in a M2 set-up and it worked
flawlessly.
4. Don't ever recall it crashing in Windows 95 or 98
(don't use it with XP because of OS issues with
hardware support of an ISA device that I still use
(HAL PCI-4000 modem). I have been told that is
possible with some type of driver that I've not
bothered to install because WL works fine in Windows
98.
5. It creates .tq8 files for user of LOTW.
6. Use it into a Telnet packet cluster with no
problems.
7. Any problems I have had have been resolved through
use of this reflector or by reading the Help file.
8. Supports all the major contests in all modes and
many not so popular ones as well.
9. Creates Cabrillo files for all the sponsors that
required it.
10. For WAEDC it supports QTC traffic nicely.
11. Runs fine on an old Pentium II (300 MHz) with 320
MB of RAM.
12. The callsign highlighting in RTTY is invaluable.
13. If you want to RTTY contest you'll appreciate the
number of TNC's supported including soundcards.

The items above our things that I deem important to
me, they may not be important to you.  I can't think
of anything I really deem important that Writelog
doesn't support well. Is Writelog plug-n-play(?),
depends on the complexity of your set-up. In my case
no, but that's the beauty of it, it can adapt to a
large variety of station configurations with a little
work.

For any RTTY contest that I participate in seriously,
I can usually finishing in the top 10 in the USA (from
the blackhole of Kansas). Is this all because of
Writelog(?), of course not. I've spent thousands of
dollars on radios, antennas, an amplifier and a tower.
Writelog costs have been a miniscule part of my
station budget.

If and when I software becomes available that vastly
improves features that are critcal to me, I'll switch.
For now I'll stick with Writelog.

73 de Bob (KI6DY/0)