Re: [WriteLog] Setting up WL with FT-2000

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Setting up WL with FT-2000
From: N6WK <n6wk@n6wk.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:21:34 -0700
Hi Marsh,
  That must be my problem. I have Com 1 connected to the FT-2000 CAT
port and that part works fine. I was under the impression that I could
send CW through the same cable but apparently that is incorrect.
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate  so it looks like I will check out
the DIRECT I/O program and look into an interface.
My computer has 3 Com ports, so there is no shortage of them and I have
the unused LPT1 port since my printer is USB.
Does anyone have a schematic of a Interface I can build and it's wiring
to the radio from either a COM port of the LPT port??
Gordon
N6WK

Marshall Stewart KA5M wrote:
> I do not have a Yaesu FT-2000, but I have successfully used WriteLog to send
> CW to a Ten-Tec Omni VI Plus, a Yaesu FT-1000MP, and a Ten-Tec Orion II.
> They have all worked pretty much the same, except for selecting the specific
> radio I was using in WriteLog.
>
> First, I have always used one COM port to talk (frequency, mode, etc.) to
> the radio.  (Sounds like you have that working.)  Then I use the LPT
> (parallel printer port) to send CW from the computer to the key jack of the
> radio.  This does require a simple switching transistor or opto-isolator
> interface.  Also, Windows XP won't allow direct control of a printer port,
> so I use a program called DIRECT I/O.
>
> I may be incorrect, but I don't think you can use the same COM port to talk
> to the radio and send CW.
>
> KA5M Marsh Stewart

>>> Gordon