Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog and Elecraft KDVR3

To: WriteLog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog and Elecraft KDVR3
From: Alan Maenchen <ad6e@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 11:23:05 -1000
Wow!  That's great Mike. Thanks!
It solves a couple of problems I've been having.

Aloha,  Alan  AD6E / KH6TU

----------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 00:07:17 +0000
From: Mike Heideman <mike_heideman@hotmail.com>
To: "writelog@contesting.com" <writelog@contesting.com>, Randy
        Thompson K5ZD   <k5zd@charter.net>

I've been using N6EE's method for a couple of years. His website with the
description repeatedly times out for me so perhaps it is down. I tried to
record messages when I first got the playback working but didn't know how
to stop the recording. I figured it out earlier today.

Here's some information that probably duplicates much of Ron's description.
Hopefully there's something new.

Add an Elecraft K3 commands section to writelog.ini:

[Elecraft_K3_commands]
Macro_10=SWT21;
Macro_11=SWT31;
Macro_12=SWT35;
Macro_13=SWT39;
Macro_14=SWT37;SWT21;
Macro_15=SWT37;SWT31;
Macro_16=SWT37;SWT35;
Macro_17=SWT37;SWT39;

In the Writelog SSB Messages assign messages F1/F11 to F4 as follows:
F1/F11  %GK10
F2  %GK11
F3  %GK12
F4  %B%BGK13

I use F4 as my callsign so I want the %B%B at the beginning to prevent
calling someone as a dupe. I wanted to duplicate the Shift-F-key paradigm
for recording messages that Writelog normally uses so here are the shifted
key definitions:

Shift-F1  %GK14
Shift-F2  %GK15
Shift-F3  %GK16
Shift-F4  %GK17

You will also need to define the Shifted function keys (1-4) as keyboard
shortcuts. Go to Setup/Keyboard Shortcuts and assign

Shift+F01 = RigKbdCommand(14)   - Use RigKbdCommand(n), Rig Command = 14
Shift+F02 = RigKbdCommand(15)
Shift+F03 = RigKbdCommand(16)
Shift+F04 = RigKbdCommand(17)

In Setup/Ports set the CommPTT to Yes for the K3(s). This will enable the
ESC key to be used for interrupting messages. Also set the DVK Type to None.

Messages can be recorded by using Shift-F1 to Shift-F4. To terminate a
message hit the key used for playing back that memory, for instance hit F1
to terminate a message recorded with Shift-F1. The ESC key won't work to
end a recording as it stops the recording but leaves the remainder of the
previously recorded message.

In N6EE's original description Ron sets up F1 to F4 as keyboard shortcuts
similar to what I've done with the shifted keys. This does not seem to be
necessary and prevents these keys from being used with the Timed-CQ (Alt-T)
functionality. By not making these into keyboard shortcuts it is possible
to use Alt-T to Auto-CQ. The repeat interval has to be set to a large value
(6 to 10 seconds) as Writelog does not know how long the messages are. Try
a large value first and then reduce to what works for the particular
message.

As far as I know it is not possible to conveniently use both the Bank 1 and
Bank 2 messages (M5 to M8) of the DVR. The available command, SWH37,
toggles between banks but there is no way to specify a particular bank.

If you're in a mixed-mode contest (10M, IARU, QSO parties) then I've found
it useful to record the corresponding messages for CW into the same keys
(F1 to F4) either by using the K3 utility or manually recording with a
paddle. The CQ exchange key for CW has to be on a different function key
since the other callsign needs to be included. Be sure to set the CW speed
of the K3 since these messages will be generated within the K3.

For SO2R the messages need to be recorded separately on both radios. I
haven't been able to get dueling CQs to work but haven't spent a lot of
time trying.

73,
-Mike, N7MH