Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog and Elecraft KDVR3

To: "writelog@contesting.com" <writelog@contesting.com>, "ad6e@arrl.net" <ad6e@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog and Elecraft KDVR3
From: Mike Heideman <mike_heideman@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 18:53:25 +0000
Alan Maenchen, AD6E, wrote:
> Wow!  That's great Mike. Thanks!
> It solves a couple of problems I've been having.
>
> Aloha,  Alan  AD6E / KH6TU

Thanks, Alan. Here are some further thoughts on using the DVR with
WriteLog.

The second bank of messages could be used in a multi-op arrangement
with two operators. By setting up a key to toggle between the two
message banks each operator could save a personal set of 4 messages
that don't need to be rerecorded every time there is an operator change.

For instance, this could be added to the set of keys from my earlier post.
Add the following line to the [Elecraft_K3_Commands] section of
writelog.ini:

Macro_18=SWH37;

Put the macro in an SSB message such as:
F5  %GK18

Add a keyboard shortcut:
F05 = RigKbdCommand(18)

Hitting F5 would then toggle between the two sets of messages. Using
AutoHotKey it should be possible to have a single key both switch the
message banks and also perform the Entry/Change Operators.

The K3 commands include a way to determine the DVR's active message
bank. Sending the ICa command returns a byte with bit B3 indicating Bank
1 (0) or Bank 2 (1). If it were possible to access this bit from within
WriteLog then there might be a way for all 8 messages to be assigned to
different keys. The IC command is documented in Table 4 of the K3&KX3
Programmer's Reference.

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K3&KX3%20Pgmrs%20Ref,%20E11.pdf

My comment about setting up CW messages for mixed-mode contests
using the K3 CW message memories is only necessary when the keys have
been remapped using Keyboard Shortcuts. I only recently realized that it
isn't necessary to do the Keyboard Shortcuts so this is totally
unnecessary.  If you're using RTS/DTR or parallel port keying and having
problems with RFI-induced stutter then I could imagine setting up
Keyboard Shortcuts to get the K3 to flawlessly send any CW messages
that don't include variable content such as a %C callsign or serial number.

I tried dueling CQs and realized that WriteLog does not know when either
K3 has finished transmitting so it can't determine when to initiate the CQ
on the next K3. The K3 command set includes a TQ command that
responds with TQ0; (receive mode) or TQ1; (transmit mode) which could
be used to poll the other K3 while waiting to send the next CQ of a Timed
CQ sequence. This would require that WriteLog either have more
K3-specific logic/commands built in or perhaps that TX polling command
and response definitions could be user-defined in writelog.ini to provide
a general capability that also works on other radios with internal DVKs.

73,
-Mike, N7MH